Friday, June 22, 2012

Warning: Feminist(ish) Rant!


As a woman living on her own, I do worry about the upkeep of my home. I constantly think about what would happen if I had a burst pipe, or if the basement flooded or if the roof was leaking. It's also one of the things my mother is constantly on my back about! 'Lauren, if you had a man you could get him to do your DIY.' It pains her that I am single! That's one thing about Indian mothers... they are desperate to farm out their daughters as soon as possible!

But seriously, I am useless when it comes to DIY. I can probably hang a picture, or screw in a few wood screws if I have to, but major work requires the services of a handyman! I did however, recently think to myself that I should get a little tool box in the house, just for minor things! Nothing exciting. Just a hammer, screwdriver, tape measure some nails and screws – the basics. So off I headed with my flatmate into the local DIY place! Now, it has already occurred to me that DIY is the domain of men, but surely there must be plenty of women who indulge in it too? I mean just cause I'm hopeless doesn't mean plenty of other woman don't love banging away with a hammer from time to time. Right?

Anyway , at the shop we found 'Women's Tools'. I was like huh? They have special tools for females. I was shocked, and more than a little bit disappointed that what passed for women's tools were the same hammers in the next aisle, only sprayed pink. There was a whole range of tools, boxes, belts etc with pink or lilac colours or even floral patterns and worst of all? Twice the price!

Are women really such consumers that they will pay double for a pink hammer? That's so patronizing! Why can't we fix our leaky pipes with regular man tools?


No comments:

Post a Comment