Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Security for Those Living Alone

home invasion
home invasion (Photo credit: drburtoni)

I am a single, independent woman who is happy living my own version of bachelor life, but I won't lie there are times when I feel like it would be nice to have a man around. I am often asked if I get afraid living alone and in all honesty not that often. Sure there are times when a noise startles me from sleep and I have a moment of panic, but for the most part I am very comfortable in my home and in my own company. Of course when I say as much I am regaled with tales of how others could not live alone after all do you know how many women living alone are raped or murdered in their beds. My reply is always not that many actually! You see, statistically the numer of single households which are victims of crimes such as robberies and home invasion are equal for men and women. I'm no less more or no less likely to be attacked in my own home than my bachelor brothers!

It is actually necessary for both men and women who are living alone need to think about their home security. Some of the things you could think about are:
  • Installing motion sensitive exterior lighting
  • Setting your burglar alarm before leaving home
  • Locking all doors and windows
  • Keeping bushes trimmed back, especially around windows

I also recommend spending some time getting to know the neighbours. This is not only an opportunity to make friends, but is also a good move security wise because they will look out for you. Some young women may feel uneasy approaching single men, but there are sure to be older women or couples and families who you can get to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment